Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
VAGABOND 237164 Built at Portage Entry, MI in 1935 by Wiinika
Boat Works, for Richard Jamsen, Gay, MI. The 35 ft. x 10 ft. vessel was
equipped with a 96 hp. gas engine.
VAGABOND 262688 Built by Peterson Boat Builders, forerunner to
Peterson Boat Works, in 1951 for Julius Yauger, Two Rivers, WI. The 42
ft. x 12 ft. steel hulled vessel was equipped with a 65 hp. Caterpillar
diesel. In 1958 Lawrence Pulda, Racine, WI, bought the boat, repowered
with a 220 hp. Cummins diesel and operated until 1967, when he sold her
to Clifford and Harvey Hadland, Bayfield. Operated by them until 1988,
the boat was sold to Keith Peterson, Bayfield, who had the boat until
1993, whenhe sold her to Tim Matson, Munising, MI. VIEW
VALIANT A 62 ft. steam powered vessel owned by the Bell-Bense
Co., Port Clinton, OH in 1928.
VALPURI See ALLISON B.
VANDERBERG BROS. 250357 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1946 for Russell
Vanderberg, Muskegon, MI. The all steel vessel, 44 ft. x 12 ft. was equipped
with a 60-70 Kahlenberg oil engine. Hallard Grover, Montaque, MI owned
the boat from 1966 to 1969, and changed the name to M.G. Philip Anderson,
Kenosha, WI bought the boat from Grover in 1970 and changed the name to JENNIFER, then sold her back to Grover in 1973. Grover had the boat until
1976, when he sold her to Richard McNab, Muskegon, MI. The boat is presently
at Muskegon, named KATHY B., and owned by Jensen Fisheries.
VELOX 227019 A 44 ft. x 11 ft. fishing vessel built by Sturgeon
Bay Boat Works in 1927 for Leon Cornell, Washington Island, Wis. Boat
was equipped with a 50-60 H.P. Kahlenberg oil engine.
VENTURE A vessel of unknown size owned by Fred W. Smith, Munising,
MI in 1953.
VENUS 223930 Built at St.James, MI in 1923,by James McCann, for
his own use, the 60 ft. x 13 ft. steam tug was owned by Louis Gunderson,
Jr., Alpena, MI in 1938.
VERA B. A 28 ft.(approx.) gas boat owned by Ulrick Boutin, Bayfield,
WI in 1940.
VERNON A 40 ft. gas boat owned by Lyle McDonald, Grand Marais,
MI in 1945. On August 5, 1950 the boat collided with the Str. Harry Coulby,
off Grand Marais. The boat was lost but the crew was saved by the steamer,
and brought to Duluth, Minn., the steamers destination.
VICTOR H. Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in 1937 for Victor
Halberg Sons, St.Ignace, MI. The 42 ft. x 12 ft. vessel was equipped with
a 45-54 Kahlenberg oil engine.
VICTORIA T. A 37 ft. x 11 ft. vessel equipped with a 30-36 Kahlenberg
oil engine, and owned by John Tuisl, Manitowoc, WI in 1934.
VICTORY A 40 ft. gas boat, built at Mohawk, Michigan in 1942,
and owned by Arthur Haikkenen, Lake Linden, MI. On May 1, 1950 the charred
hull of the vessel was found 27 miles off Keweenaw Point. No trace of
Haikkenen or his hired man, Alex Simmons, was ever found.The hull was
towed in to Big Traverse Bay and put on shore, where it remained for many
VICTORY A 40 ft. steel hulled gas boat owned by John Anthony,
Manistique, MI in 1942.
VIKING A 35 ft. vessel owned by Paul O. Nordley, Knife River,
MN in 1945.
VIKING A 37 ft.x10 ft. gas powered fishing vessel, built on Washington
Island in 1897. On Sept. 17, 1918 the boat was in a mishap with the Str.
Charles Ferris and its tow the Ajax. Coming between the two vessels it
was overturned, the crew of two both drowned. The incident happened off
Lester Park, Duluth, Minnesota. After being towed into Duluth, the vessel
was later rebuilt. Ownership of vessel is not known.
VIKING A fish boat of unknown size, owned by John Ellefson, Washington
Island, WI in 1904.
VIKING Built at Port Wing, WI in 1926 by Anton Ostling. A 35 ft.
gas powered vessel, it was operated out of Port Wing until 1933, when
Ostling moved to Ontonagon, MI.
VIKING Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in the 1930s. The 43 ft.
x 12 ft. vessel was equipped with a 45-54 Kahlenberg oil engine and owned
by Earl Wickman, Racine, WI in 1945.
VIKING Built in the Chassell, MI area, the boat was brought to
Bayfield, WI by Wilfred Boutin in the late 1930s. About 32 ft. in length
and a double-ender, the boat was powered by a gas engine. In the mid 1940s
Irving Hadland bought the boat, an equipped it with a 4 cylinder Red Wing
gas engine. The boat was sold to August Wick, Madeline Island, after Wick
lost his boat in the big blow in October of 1949. In time the boat ended
up pulled out at Big Bay on Madeline Isl. It remained there until it disintegrated.
VIKING II Built at Ontonagon, MI in 1934 by Anton Ostling, and
operated by his sons Alfred and Donald. 35 ft. in length and equipped
with a gas engine. In 1946 the boat was sold to John Karr and James Kane.
Karr Kane operated with the boat until 1953. It was later sold to Ted
Bodin, Bayfield, WI. VIEW PICTURE
VIRGINIA DALE A 36 ft. gas boat owned by David Vischer, South
Haven, MI in 1930.
VIVIAN 214896 Built at Two Rivers, WI in 1905, the 36 ft. x 9
ft. vessel was equipped with a 14 hp. gas engine and owned by Conrad Johnson,
Oconto, WI in 1925.
VIVIAN 221899 Built at Sturgeon Bay, WI in 1906, the 33 ft. x
10 ft. vessel was equipped with a 22 hp. gas engine and in 1925 it was
owned by Leonard Kihl, Egg Harbor, WI.
VIVIAN Built at Menominee, MI in 1913, the 37 ft. x 10 ft. vessel
was equipped with a 15 hp. gas engine and was owned by Oscar Olson, Marinette,
WI in 1925.