Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
J. B. NELSON 236778 .Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1937 for Leonard
A. Nelson, Sturgeon Bay, Wis., the 40 ft. x 11 ft. all steel vessel was
equipped with a 45-54 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1981 ownership went
to another Nelson, Mark Nelson, Sheboygan, Wis. The boat has been repowered
with a Cummins diesel.
J. S. GAGNON 217772 Built at Green Bay, Wis. in 1918, the 60 ft.
x 16 ft. steam powered vessel was owned by Leo J. Gagnon, Racine, Wis.
J. T. BOSSLER 217362 Built at Manitowoc, in 1916, by Burger Boat
Co., the 52 ft. x 14 ft. vessel was owned by John T. Bossler, Port Washington,
Wis. in 1938.
J. W. CORNELL A 49 ft. x 12 ft. vessel owned by John W. Cornell
Sons, Washington Island, Wis. Built in the early 1930s, most likely by
Sturgeon Bay Boat Works, the wood hulled vessel was equipped with a 60-70
hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Owned by Claude Cornell in the 1950s, and operated
out of Algoma, Wis., the boat was later sold to Roy Nelson, Algoma. With
the engine removed, she sank while being towed from Algoma to Milwaukee.
J. W. McDONALD Built by Peterson Boat Works in 1934, for Raymond
McDonald, Kenosha, Wis. The 40 ft. x 11 ft. wood hulled vessel was eqipped
with a 65-85 hp Buda diesel. McDonald kept the boat until 1956, when he
purchased the steel hulled 50 ft. RICHARD E. from Frank Eichler,
J.R. CHAMBERS 246930 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1944 for Murray
Chambers, Holland, Mich., the all steel vessel, 52 ft. x 14 ft., was originally
equipped with a 75-90 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine which was later replaced
with the 100-120 taken out of the L.P. HILL. Donald Slenk, Holland,
is listed in MVUS as the owner in 1951, with Chambers listed from 1952-1976.
Weiner Bros, Lion Head, Ont. Owned the boat for a time in the late 1970s,
changing the name to ANTARES II. Gilmore Peterson, Bayfield/Lake
Linden, bought the boat and renamed her THREE SUNS. The Kahlenberg
was then replaced with a Cummins diesel.
JACKIE Built by Marinette Marine Corp. in 1945, for Lester Fisher,
Marinette, Wis. A 42 ft. x 13 ft. all-steel fish tug equipped with a 83
hp. GM 3-71 diesel. Designed by A.M. Deering, Chicago, the boat had a
rounded stern and extremely raked stem, and was of the same design as
the CHARLES J., built at the same yard. The Jackie was eventually
sold to fishermen at Warroad, MN, and converted to a trapnetter.
JACKIE C. .Built at Charlevoix, Mich. in 1937, by Ulysses McCann
of Beaver Island. The 47 ft. x 13 ft. vessel was owned by John Cross,
Charlevoix, and equipped with a 75-95 hp. Hill diesel with direct drive
marine reverse gear turning a 28 in. propeller up to 1000 r.p.m. In the
mid 1940s the boat was re-powered with a 150 hp. Cummins diesel. After
the trout fishery died out the boat was converted for use as a trapnetter,
and is to this day owned by the Cross Fishery.
JACKIE II . 277373 Built by T.D. Vinette Co., Escanaba, Mich.
in 1958, for John Cross Fisheries, Charlevoix, Mich. The 53 ft. x 14 ft.
steel hulled vessel was equipped with a 250 hp. Cummins diesel. Cross
eventually sold the boat to Jack Evanow, Port Wing, Wis., and bought her
back in the late 1990s. After a few years Cross sold the boat to Anderson
Fisheries, Sheboygan, Wis. In 2000 Dean Halvorson bought her from Anderson
and brought her back to Lake Superior once again. She presently operates
out of Cornucopia, Wis. The wood cabin has been rebuilt for a third time. VIEW PICTURE
JANE 229221 40 ft. x 11 ft. vessel owned by Nels Sorenson, Kewaunee,
Wis. Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works, in the early 1930s, the boat was
equipped with a 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. In the 1970s the boat
was at Washington Island, and still in operation.The JANE is now at Escanaba, among several
boats acquired by Franz VonRiedel, Duluth. There has been discussion of
including it in the Northeastern Maritime Association collection boats. VIEW PICTURE
JANICE A. Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in 1937, for Charles
and Haakon Anderson, Frankfort, Mich. The 40 ft. x 12 ft. vessel was equipped
with a 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1943 the boat was sold to operators
at Milwaukee. The Anderson then purchased the 50 ft. EVELYN S.
from William Sellman, Manistique, Mich.
JANICE SUE 277009 Built by Marinette Marine Corp., in 1958 for
Louis Steffens, Leland, Mich. The 40 ft. x 12 ft. steel hulled vessel
was equipped with a 100 hp. Gray Marine diesel. The hull was towed from
Marinette to Leland, where the wood cabin was built, and all equipment
installed. Steffens owned the vessel from 1958 to 1965. At that time ownership
went to Lester Carlson, Leland, MI. Carlson still had the vessel in 1971.
As of 2002, the owner is William Carlson, of Leland, Michigan. The boat
is actively engaged in the chub fishery at Leland.
JAY JAY CEE 233457 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1934, for Edward B. Matthews, Oscoda, Mich. The 48 ft. x 13 ft. riveted and welded steel hulled vessel was equipped with a 60-70 Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1974 Richard and James Petersen, Muskegon, purchased the boat from Matthews Fishery and changed the name to IRENE. In 1976 Petersen Bros. sold her to Albert B. LeBlanc, Sr. Brimley, Mich. Some time after 1982 LeBlanc sold the boat to J.J. Camalick & Sons Inc., Chicago. The new owners repowered the boat with a Cummins diesel, and replaced the wooden upper deck and pilothouse with aluminum, and renamed her JAY JAY CEE. Joe Bergan later bought the boat and brought it to Houghton, Mich., and sold it to Joseph A. Newago, Sr. The boat is presently at Bayfield, Wis. VIEW PICTURE
JEAN MORAN Built at Bad Axe, Mich. in the early 1940s by Martin
Machinery Manufacturing Co., the 42 ft. x 12 ft. steel hulled vessel was
equipped with a 100 hp. Kermath gas engine, and owned by Russell Moran,
Grindstone City, Mich.
JEAN MAUR B. See ELEANOR B.
JEAN MAUR B. II A 30 ft. fishing vessel,
built as the ISLE ROYALE QUEEN by Melvin Edwards, Black River Harbor,
MI. Originally equipped with a war surplus Buda diesel, it was later repowered
with a GM 3-53 diesel. After being owned by Joe Deragon, Bayfield, WI
for a few years, it was sold to Morris Boutin, Bayfield. The name was
then changed to JEAN MAUR B. II The boat remains in active use
as of January, 2002. VIEW PICTURE
JEAN R. 230036 Built at Sturgeon Bay in 1930, for Otto P. Rodal,
Frankfort, Mich. The 55 ft. x 13 ft. steel hulled vessel was steam powered
until 1945, when a 100-120 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine was installed. In
1966 the boat was owned by Ralph Cross and stationed at Alpena, Mich. VIEW PICTURE
JEKA Built at Sturgeon Bay in 1939, the 64 ft. x 15 ft. steel
hulled vessel was steam powered. In 1938 John A Jeka, Milwaukee, was the
JENNIFER See VANDERBERG BROS
JENSEN BROS. 249275 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1946 for Paul
Jensen, Muskegon, Mich., the 48 ft. x 13 ft. all steel vessel was equipped
with a 75-90 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Following ownership by the Jensen
family, the boat was sold to Jerome Peterson, Manistique, Mich. in 1975,
and renamed AMY JO. Peterson is listed as owner until 1981. Ownership
then goes to Dennis and Jeffrey Hickey, Baileys Harbor, Wis. The boat
is then repowered with a Caterpillar D353 diesel, and renamed SOUTHWESTER. VIEW PICTURE
JEPTHA Owned by Daniel Kershner, Muskegon, Mich. in 1942. The
length of the boat, or type of engine is not known.
JEROME A 35 ft. fishing vessel, equipped with a Ford gasoline
engine, operated by Zylkowski Brothers, Marinette, WisconsinI during the
1940s and 1950s. The boat was severely damaged in 1957, while out fishing,
in the same storm that sank the steamer Carl D. Bradley.
JOE ANN A 45 ft. x 12 ft. fish tug, built in 1942 and owned by
Joseph Bissell, Charlevoix, Mich. The wood hulled vessel was equipped
with a 150 hp. Cummins diesel.
JOEL 247892 .Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1945 for Herman J. Freitag,
Kenosha, Wis., the 40 ft. x 11 ft. all steel vessel was equipped with
a 50-60 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Later repowered with a 6 cyl. P H diesel,
the boat was sold to Waino Asunmaa, Calumet, Mich. in 1965. Asunmaa replaced
the P H with a GM 6-71 diesel. He sold the boat to Todd Preseau, Cheboygan,
Mich. in 1981. Preseau renamed her DEBBIE D. VIEW
JOHANNA 36 ft. steel hulled, steam powered vessel, built at Gile
Boat Engine Co., Ludington, Mich. in 1914, owned by Martin O.Beck, Grand
JOHN B. CLOUTIER .. 235276 52 ft. wood hulled vessel, built at
Harbor Beach, Mich. in 1936 by John B. Cloutier, and fished by Cloutier
and his sons. Power was with a 100-120 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine.
JOHN JR. 222506 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1922 for John and
William Benson, Racine, Wis., the 60 ft. x 14 ft. wood hulled vessel was
steam powered. From 1941 to 1948 the boat was owned by Frank Seger, Sheboygan,
Wis. In 1949 she was out of documentation. VIEW PICTURE
JOHN R. See FLO
JOHN V. ALLIE . 230409 Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works, in 1934,
for John V. Allie Sons, Two Rivers, the 42 ft. x 12 ft. vessel was equipped
with a 50-60 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1965 the boat was owned and
operated by Smogoleski Bros., Two Rivers. Still later she was owned by
Richard Johnson, Marinette.
JOLENE 248708 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1945 for Joseph Felbinger,
Chicago, Ill., the 55 ft. x 14 ft all steel vessel was equipped with a
100-120 hp Kahlenberg oil engine. MVUS lists Felbinger as owner until
1974, Marie Wisocki, Chicago, 1975-1981; Jeffrey Furness, Michigan City,
Ind., in 1989, and Paragon Fish Corp.(Dan Anderson), Milwaukee, up to
the present. Furness was the owner for a number of years, and repowered
with a Volvo diesel. Anderson has repowered with a Caterpillar D3406 diesel,
and still owns the boat. VIEW PICTURE
JOSEPH C. CAYNER SR. 233658 .Built by Peterson Boat Works in 1935,
for Joseph C. Cayner, Jr., Port Washington, Wis. and owned by Cayner until
1946. Frank LeClair, Two Rivers owned the boat from 1946 to 1959, during
which time it was repowered with a Kahlenberg oil engine, replacing the
original 105-125 hp. Buda diesel. In 1960 Charles Nylund, Menominee, Mich.,
purchased the boat and repowered with a 220 H.P. Cummins diesel. VIEW PICTURE
JOSEPH T. SHOAT A large wood hulled, steam powered, fish tug owned
and operated by Kishman Fisheries, Vermilion, OH in the 1930s.
JOSEPHINE ADDISON . 221142 steam powered vessel, built at Menominee,
Mich. in 1919. 54 ft. x 14 ft. in size, the first owner listed in MVUS
is Enos Petitpren, Grand Marais, Mich., in 1925, followed by Ora Endress,
Grand Marais, 1930; Henry Johnson, Bayfield, Wis. 1945; Halvor Reiten,
JUDITH C. .Built at Kenosha, WI and launched in the spring of
1936, for owner Murray Chambers, of Holland, MI and Kenosha. The 44 ft.
x 11 ft. vessel was assembled from a kit of a yacht design by Milo Bailey,
a Detroit marine architect. The vessel was equipped with a 225 hp. Kermath
gas engine and was capable of speeds in excess of 15 miles per hour. Chambers
fished the boat out of Grand Marais, MI for a number of years, before
selling it and having a 52 ft. steel boat built in 1945.
JUDY ..Built by Marinette Marine Corp., the 35 ft. x 11 ft. vessel
was owned by Suli Kauppi, Copper Harbor, Mich., and equipped with a Caterpillar
Model D4600 diesel. Bought by David Johnson, Port Wing, Wis. in the early
1980s she was re-powered with a Cummins Model 6 BT diesel.
JUDY Owned by Ralph V. Hile, Muskegon, Mich. in 1940. Size of
the boat is not known.
JULIA C. HAMMEL . 077076 Built by H.B. G.B. Burger, Manitowoc,
Wis. in 1893, the 58 ft. x 14 ft. vessel was powered with steam. Owners
listed in MVUS include; E. Hammel, Sr., Two Rivers, 1894-1895; Hiram Luebke,
Two Rivers, 1897-1910; John Heula Port Washington, 1914; Arthur J. Breault,
Port Washington, 1917. Boat was abandoned 4/20/1918 (Beesons1919)
JULIE ANN See EDITH J.
JULIE M 211278 .Built at Manitowoc, Wis. in 1911, the 36 ft. x
10 ft. wood hulled vessel was equipped with a 18 hp. Kahlenberg gasoline
engine. The boat had many owners, the first on record being, William Mayer,
Chicago, 1911-1921, Hobert Pakulla, Chicago, 1925-1926, John Kooper, Chicago,
1927, Elmer Keuther, Chicago, 1928-1932, Robert Keuther, Waukegan, 1933-1935,
August Dettlaf, Waukegan, 1936-1939, John Johnson, Waukegan, 1941, August
Dettlaf, Waukegan, 1942-1944, William Tornovish, Waukegan 1945-1962, Robert
Masse, Grand Marais, Mich., 1963-1966, William Tornovish, Grand Marais,
1970-1974. Boat was dismantled , as per 1975 MVUS