Fish Tugs of the Greatest Lake
JAY JAY CEE
JAY JAY CEE 233457 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1934, for Edward B. Matthews, Oscoda, Mich. The 48 ft. x 13 ft. riveted and welded steel hulled vessel was equipped with a 60-70 Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1974 Richard and James Petersen, Muskegon, purchased the boat from Matthews Fishery and changed the name to IRENE. In 1976 Petersen Bros. sold her to Albert B. LeBlanc, Sr. Brimley, Mich. Some time after 1982 LeBlanc sold the boat to J.J. Camalick & Sons Inc., Chicago. The new owners repowered the boat with a Cummins diesel, and replaced the wooden upper deck and pilothouse with aluminum, and renamed her JAY JAY CEE. Joe Bergan later bought the boat and brought it to Houghton, Mich., and sold it to Joseph A. Newago, Sr. The boat is presently at Bayfield, Wis.
Bayfield Harbor, March 2009
contents copyright 2002-2016, Harvey Hadland and Bob Mackreth