Fish Tugs of the Greatest Lake
Built at Bayfield right after WW II by Joseph and Erwin LeBel, for Wilfred (Manny) Boutin, The 44 ft. x 11 ft. vessel was initially equipped with a 30-36 Kahlenberg oil engine, bought from John Cross, at Charlevoix. After a few years new 45-54 Kahlenberg was installed. Manny fished the boat until some time in the early 1960s, then sold it to his brother Allison. By 1968 the boat was abandoned at the local boat yard, and eventually burned after the engine and net lifter had been removed.
Photo: IONE (left) and OLD GLORY (right) breaking out of the dock at Big Bay, Madeline Island, April 19, 1951.
contents copyright 2002-2016, Harvey Hadland and Bob Mackreth