Fish Tugs of the Greatest Lake
Built at Cornucopia in 1943 by William Evanow. The 43 ft. wood hulled vessel was equipped with a 110 hp. Chrysler Crown gas engine. In 1946 the boat was bought by Julian Nelson, Bayfield, and in 1948 re-powered with a 150 hp. Cummins diesel. When Nelson retired the boat was bought by Allison Boutin and operated well into the 1970s, when the machinery was removed and put in another boat. The abandoned hull was taken to the James Erickson farm, and later burned.
Photos: MERMAID, top, 1940s; bottom, undated.
contents copyright 2002-2016, Harvey Hadland and Bob Mackreth