Fish Tugs of the Greatest Lake
BOBBIE (UNCLE BUTTS)
Built as the BOBBIE at Bayfield by Evan Christensen, in 1939 for William Noring, of Sand Island. Boat was about 30 ft. in length, and equipped with a 2 cyl. 18 hp. Regal gas engine. By the mid 1940s Floyd Hoopman was owner, followed by Louis [Butts] Peterson, who eventually re-named the boat UNCLE BUTTS and repowered with a Chrysler Crown marine gas engine. The boat changed hands several times after that and is currently sitting ashore at Bayfield.
Photo: Top, the BOBBIE in original configuration at Reiten boatyard, Bayfield; middle, docked at Red Cliff, 1991; bottom, ashore at Bayfield, 2001. Note changes over the years.
contents copyright 2002-2016, Harvey Hadland and Bob Mackreth